Chart
Question
Why did the biggest decline in classroom sizes in British Columbia happen in the school year 2020/2021?
Link & Brief Summary
CTV News article is here.
From 2006/2007 to 2023/2024, the 2020/2021 British Columbia school year had the lowest average class of 21.3. Comparing the 2006/2007 school year, I was surprised that classroom sizes were bigger in that year compared to the later years of 2020/2021. 2021/2022, 2022/2023, and 2023/2024. The COVID-19 pandemic that hit British Columbia is a huge reason why we see a low average classroom size in 2020/2021. This CTV news article examines the guidelines put into place in B.C. schools in the 2020/2021 school year, and how those guidelines are changing for 2021/2022 as a new variant of COVID-19 is rising in the province. This article was published in August 2021 and refers to the safety guidelines of last year, which I take as the 2020/2021 school year. Smaller classroom size is one of the ways British Columbia dealt with the COVID-19 pandemic in that school year, indicating why my data shows that classroom size declined for 2020/2021.
New Data Slice
The new data slice is here.
Link to the original dataset
The original dataset is here.
Hi Kristina! You've created a super clear visualization and I particularly like that you annotated your main point directly on the chart. I would perhaps revise your question to ask why it had the SMALLEST class size since 2006 rather than the biggest decline. When I think of decline, my mind goes to comparing the class size to the year previous and in that case, the decline from 2011/2012 to 2012/2013 had the largest drop along the timeline. Hope that makes sense!
ReplyDeleteHi Kristina! I like the chart that you have going on here, it clearly shows the information that you are talking about. Something that I believe could benefit the chart would be to perhaps give the reason that you mentioned in the summary of the class declining in the title of the chart so that the topic of the blog is known. Im a fan of how clear you have your data and summary, and im excited to see the final!
ReplyDelete