1. What dataset will you use for your final report?
I will use a data set from the City Of Surrey Open Portal for my final report. The dataset is called Surrey School Class Size 2022-2023.
Link: https://data.surrey.ca/dataset/fa402532-3a19-4913-affc-97b67a13d7e9/resource/d562837e-7d6d-486d-985f-ecf71aa8b4d9/download/surrey_school_class_size2022-2023.xlsx
2. Describe the dataset. What kind of data does it contain?
This data set lists all the schools in the Surrey School District and compares them by their class sizes. It compares the 2006/2007 school year and includes elementary and secondary schools. The data set shows the names of the elementary and secondary schools and the total number of classes at each school. Then, it shows the number of classes with a class size of 30 plus students. The set also has columns that show the average class size at each school for all grades (Kindergarten to Grade 12). Basic information like the district name and if the schools are public or private are also included.
3. Is there anything about your data that you don’t understand? How will you find this out?
The only part of my data I did not understand was what it meant by an independent school. There is a column that tells me if the school is public or independent. I typed in the definition of independent school on Google and found out that it is another name for private school.
4. What are some questions you hope to answer with your data? List at least three.
The questions I hope to answer with my data.
1) Which Surrey school has the largest and smallest average class size? (Everything from kindergarten to grade 12).
2) Which Surrey school has the largest amount of EAs in their classrooms?
3) Which Surrey school has the highest amount of classrooms?
4) Which Surrey school has the most and least classes with 30 plus students?
Hi Kristina, your dataset on Surrey school class sizes is both relevant and well-explained. I like how you compared schools across different years and included details on both elementary and secondary schools. The questions you posed are clear and focused on important aspects like class size and resources. One suggestion would be to explore how the data could reveal trends over time, beyond the comparison of class sizes. Overall, it’s a well-thought-out and organized post!
ReplyDeleteHi Kristina! As a City of Surrey employee myself, I like the choice of dataset. I like how detailed you described the dataset and included all important information. One thing I think that could be adjusted is including a hyperlink to your dataset to allow the readers to view the dataset within one click.
ReplyDeleteHi Kristina, your Data Update 1 is clear and concise. I like how you've already included how you went about finding an answer to your question right away. I also agree with Arthur in that it'd be beneficial to pivot away from questions with answers directly found in the dataset. Instead, try asking questions that offer a broader perspective, such as those that explore changes over time or compare different categories. This will give you a good foundation for finding more interesting insights. Best of luck!
ReplyDeleteHello Kristina! This data set offers you a lot of good chances to make impactful leads for your data update, as I believe that this is something that people would take personally with their kids experience in socializing depending on if the classrooms are too small or too big, which is good. For the questions perhaps trying to pose more questions that involve rates would make them more interesting, say for perhaps question 2. Good update and great pick!
ReplyDelete