Lead
West Vancouver has an average class size of 25, 14% higher than the provincial district average, according to B.C. government data.
I used a provincial data set about school sizes in British Columbia instead of my original dataset, which only focused on the size of the Surrey school. I was able to compare class sizes from school districts all across the province, which led to some exciting findings. The provincial dataset had a more extensive data set, which made for deeper analysis. I used hyperlinks to link my datasets instead of copying and pasting the entire URL.
Excel Workbook Link and Explanation
The link to the raw data is here.
Here is the link to the data slice. This slice shows the school years from 2006/2007 to 2023/2024 and examines the average class size of all grades each year. I included the overall average of all the years so you know where I got the average class size of 25, which is in my lead. I used the AVERAGE formula in Excel to calculate the average. This slice also shows the school years from 2006/2007 to 2023/2024 and the district-wide average class size for each school year. I included the overall average class sizes for all the years. I used the AVERAGE formula in Excel to calculate the average.
The calculation I used to determine the 14% difference mentioned in my lead is:
(New Value-Old Value)/Old Value x 100
Original Dataset Link
The link to the original dataset is here.
Hi Kristina, it’s great that you expanded to a larger dataset; it’s allowed you to uncover even more interesting insights! I think you’ve done a fantastic job crafting a lead that’s both clear and engaging. For your workbook explanation, you might consider consolidating the raw data and slice into one file with separate sheets for each. Also, you repeat details about the AVERAGE formula; mentioning it just once at the beginning could make your explanation more concise
ReplyDeleteHi Kristina, i think you have a great lead going on. Furthermore i find your analysis very interesting. I think you are doing a great job so far, the formula of the average is helpful! Great job so far!
ReplyDeleteHello Kristina! I like how you gave the base class size, then stated the percentage, instead of giving the percentage only which lends no context to the reader. The switch to the British Columbia set is a good decision to get more accurate details as well. I would suggest perhaps cleaning the slices up a bit more if I was to nit-pick, such as moving them to the side and removing the colors, but your numbers and math are all good. Well done!
ReplyDelete