Sunday, February 27, 2022

FOI Request

 



Kristina Gardner 
5138 215th street
Langley, B.C., V3A 6C6
kristina.gardner1@email.kpu.ca
(604)358-8825


March 1st, 2022


Freedom of Information Coordinating Office
The British Columbia Hydro and Power Authority
333 Dunsmuir St.
Vancouver, B.C., V6B 5R3
FOI.Requests@bchydro.com


To whom it may concern,

Under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, I would like to request:

- A copy of all power outages caused by car accidents versus motorcycle accidents and how long those outages lasted in the Langley Township between November 2020 and November 2021. 

Please forward all documents you can release in PDF format. 
You can email those documents to: kristina.gardner1@email.kpu.ca.
You can reach me with any questions or concerns at (604)358-8825. 

Please let me know when the documents are ready for release.

Sincerely, 

Kristina Gardner





BC Hydro accepts FOI requests, but they do not have a specific name or coordinator linked to their FOI request address. Therefore, the request goes to their coordinating office. The link is here. 

I made this FOI request to BC Hydro because a couple of months ago, a power outage at my house was caused by a nearby motorcycle accident. The power outage affected only mine and a few other homes on the block, and it lasted for quite a while. The outage lasted for approximately 24 hours. Usually, power outages are caused by a storm or car accident in my area, but this outage was caused by a motorcycle accident. That made me curious if outages caused by motorcycle accidents are common in my room. I also requested to see the duration of these power outages because I hope to find out if motorcycle accident-induced outages last longer than car accident-induced ones. The outage at my house lasted close to 24 hours, so I am curious to find out if lengthy outages are familiar with motorcycle accidents or not. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Kristina, I never heard of a power outage because of a motorcycle accident before. So, I find your FOI request to be informative to me as well. Also, the power outages kind of stop our lives from functioning because I can never decide what to do or how to kill the time if I ever experience power outage in my locality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristina, your FOI request topic is quite unique. I found it very interesting. Your format of writing the request is correct. You also provided good explanation for your request. all in all, your FOI request is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristina!
    I think you have a very interesting idea for a request, BCHydro is not what people would usually think of when deciding to make an FOI request I would imagine, so I appreciate that you thought to send yours to them.

    The only comments id have would be that I am unsure if there would be any documents that distinguish whether an incident occurred because of a car versus a motorcycle, but it would be interesting to see what kind of data you could get back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristina, I found your FOI topic to be very unique, and would be interested in seeing the results should they come back. I haven't really thought much about how motorcycles impact power outages, however I assume it would be somewhat significant. Interesting topic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristina, Your FOI request is very distinctive and unique as I haven't heard of this issue before. I always assumed the reasons of power outage were due to harsh weather. Great topic choice !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kristia! I think this is a great idea, however you might find yourself receiving back multiple documents each detailing different parts of your request, as they may not have one document or spreadsheet with all of that information. All-in-all through great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristina, this is an interesting and unique topic. I have never heard a power outage because of a motorcycle accident. You also request for a specific period which is great!

    ReplyDelete

The Fascinating Trends: Classroom Sizes in British Columbia

  My original dataset and data slices are here. Lead      In 2023/2024, kindergarten classes in British Columbia averaged 18 students, 22% l...